Advanced Java Topics:
Servlets and JSPs
1. Basics of a Web application
- What is a web application?
- What is a web client and web server?
- How do client and server communicate?
- HTTP protocol basics
- HTML language basics
- What is a TCP/IP port, URL?
- Need for a Web Container
2. Web Contaner and Web Application Project Set up
- To set up Tomcat Container on a machine
- To set up a Servlets JSP project in Eclipse
- To configure dependency of Servlet JSP APIs
- Web application project struture
- What are Servlets?
- What can they do? Why are they needed?
- How do Servlets look in code?
- HTTP Methods; GET, POST, PUT, DELETE, TRACE, OPTIONS
- GET/POST request; differences between the two
- Servlet Lifecycle
- Servlet Context and Servlet Config
- Forwarding and Redirection of requests
4. Session Management
- What is a session?
- Why is it required?
- How to get a session?
- Session information passing between client and server
- Sesssion information passing mechanisms – Cookies, Rewriting
- How to destroy a session
- Introduction to JSP an dneed for JSPs
- Basic HTML tags
- JSP Lifecycle
6. JSP Elements
- Significance of above elements and fitment into the JSP Lifecycle
- What are Directives in JSP?
- Page Directive
- Include Driective
- Taglib Directiv
7. JSP Tag library
- JSP Standard Actions
- Expression Language
- JSTL basics and it’s usage
- Need for Custom Tag Library
- Custom Tag Library implementation